Sunday, January 4, 2015

A New Tool

I love hardware stores! The smell. The sights. Tactile. Being reminded of all the possibilities for home improvement projects or yard projects. It's a reminder of how we've evolved to be problem solvers. And once in a while you find a new tool that solves a problem you didn't even know existed. And sometimes they're legitimate! This is an example. Shopping with family around Christmas time we stroll through an old-school hardware store in Lawrence. Ernst & Sons Hardware & Brewing Supply, 826 Massachusetts Street, since 1905. A favorite of mine. They may have restocked since 1905 but they haven't remodeled. Strolling through the tight isles I found this jewel. Had to have it!

4 comments:

Kate (Cathy Johnson) said...

Ooooh! I have one similar to that, John. (I hate shopping, normally, but a good bookstore, art supply or hardware store, and I'm happy.)

Patsy Taylor-Craw said...

Oh boy! Now I need one too. That thumb sure looks sore.

john.p said...

Maybe it's NOT such a new invention, then. I'm with you on the bookstores and art supply stores, Kate. As for the thumb, it doesn't hurt . . . now.

Kate (Cathy Johnson) said...

Back when we had our farm I bought all sorts of wonderful hand tools...still have my favorites! I should get them out and sketch them...(too cold to dig around in the garden shed right now though!)