Sunday, February 4, 2018

Another bookbinding class

I love bookbinding! I'm in the learning process, and every class I take has something to be learned. No two teachers do things the same way, and they each have their own take on the subject. So, when I recently found out Kansas City was holding a two-session weekend class, I signed up in a hurry. It was this weekend and well worth it!

The host organization is the Print League of KC, which is a recently-born community printing organization.They recently got their start with the help of crowd funding and have a nice facility with a few presses (don't ask me what, because I haven't learned printing yet).  They also offer classes to pass along the skills. The instructor for this class was Thayer Bray, a local artist who is an accomplished book binder.

We learned three book structures over the course of two 3-hour sessions. There's just something soothing about working with your hands and a few tools and some paper. We learned how to use a vintage paper cutting machine. Cuts such a clean edge. Intimidating, but once you understand how it works, it's an enjoyable tool to use. I love the atmosphere in their shop, too. Creative energy everywhere, and the aroma of printing ink and machines. Industrial meets art. Today we had a snowstorm hit while we were in class. Nice to watch, slick to drive in.



Here's a picture of the class projects, being inspected by our household's local feline, Cosmo.

No comments: