Monday, February 5, 2018

New Frontier

While in KC for the bookbinding class I decide to check out a new donut shop; Donutology. I ran into them on-line because they now sell coffee from The Roasterie, where the sketch crawl was this month. I had my donut and coffee before class and didn't have time to sketch. After class I just had to go back and sketch. Since I was there, I decided to finish the sketch inside while having coffee and another donut. That extra donut is a secret, though.Mum's the word.

In addition to the traditional pastry offerings they let you choose the donut/frosting/topping/sprinkle combination and have a creation that stuffs a donut cone with ice cream (I think I have that all right). They have individual glass-bottle milk, in flavors that include cotton candy. Very creative.

I had the good fortune to meet and talk with the man who put one of their donuts in space! I was familiar with the story from reading their website. They have a looped video that shows the story. A customer close to the display told me the man who did it was right there beside us, and introduced me. We had a nice chat. They thought the weather balloon would go up and come down within 10 miles of the launch site and they'd be done within an hour. Wrong! The weather balloon with the donuts and camera and GPS transceiver went to 97000 feet. The flight lasted three hours 47 minutes, and landed 273 miles away in another State. The jet stream had fun with it. The GPS froze up and didn't thaw out until it landed. Quite a story. I'll be back.

No comments: