Saturday, January 6, 2018

January Sketch Crawl

Time to try a sketch crawl with Urban Sketchers Kansas City. I've heard of them but with Lawrence being closer and having their own chapter, I've been going on their outings. They've been quiet since November, though, and I'm getting the itch to get out and sketch.

The outing was centered at The Link, which is the elevated walkway joining Union Station with Crown Center and a couple motels. It's a fun area, so we drove to KC for the crawl. Wilma hit the shops as I sketched. Seems like a fine group. Their membership is over 220 now and they were organized, with maybe 20 in attendance.

Outside temperature was a windy 20F. The walkway was warmer than freezing but still cold. It was a nice sketch time. Plenty of young families because the main traveling display at Union Station is Legos, so the kids love it. We walked through the Union Station lobby to absorb the sunlight coming in. It's a spacious lobby that still has the old feel. The active restaurant and the coffee shop and Science Center and traveling display keep it active.

I used my Lamy Joy with the new Fine nib upgrade. Liz Steel likes this combination and I can see why. The extra 'give' make for a very pleasant sketching experience. Great ink flow. I like the variable width of line. Not extreme like a flex nib, but still it's better than a stiff nib or a fiber point pen. I'll probably rotate between my Pilot Nikoma Falcon and this Lamy.



No comments: