Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Primed and Ready

 'Tis snow season. In eastern Kansas in the last few years we haven't received many big snows. But we did last week, with lots of wind and the resulting drifts. My driveway blew shut four times. Now that I have a side-by-side with blade I can handle most of the storms we get, but this was the first true test.

Since it's just me now, I have the luxury of dedicating one of my two garage stalls to this machine, ready for action on a moments notice.

I only have this machine because I'm a volunteer in a trail group that maintains 15 miles of trail up my me. However, I will admit I have lusted for one even without the trail work.

This year I decided to help out some neighbors. I live in a rural area where the roads are on a 1-mile grid (mostly). On my 'mile' we only have twelve homes. Most of us are self sufficient and have the equipment to push snow. However, four don't. Three I know and like. The forth one drove by as I was clearing my driveway and asked to hire me. I went over (they weren't home) and their driveway was really drifted in. They could not drive into their house for four days! It was -8F with -10F wind chill but after 2.5 hours of work I cleared it. The biggest job I've ever done. Left my contact info in their door. That was four days ago. They are back but haven't thanked or paid me. Maybe I won't be helping them in the future. The other three neighbors were very thankful and I was glad to help.

The snow plow was a prime example of the brain telling me it's all black, but the eyes are telling me it has shiny very light value areas. I went with the eyes and it worked.



No comments: