Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Denver REI Store Visit

 REI is an outdoor gear store that is not focused on going out in nature and killing things. I say that as a hunter and fisherman, but it's true. I've been an REI member for over 40 years, and Denver has one of their flagship stores. If at all possible, on Denver visits I spend some time here. On this mid-December trip I had a couple hours to kill so I went. 

There is SO MUCH STUFF in a retail store like this so I needed to focus on something. The climbing wall wasn't being used but it always draws my attention. I found a spot on the stairs I could draw from, and incorporate people in the sketch (a weakness of mine that I'm working on). Very enjoyable time. The only drawback was the price of parking in their parking lot. I was over 2 hours here so the charge was something like $20. Rather punitive if you ask me. I spent plenty of money inside and outside of the store.

I have a thing for maps and compasses. In Topeka, Kansas nobody has a serious compass. So, when I'm here I always check on them. This one was sketch worthy. Using one is a fading skill. I use a GPS, too, but you're depending on battery life to keep you alive and I don't like that. Worse yet is a trend of depending on your cell phone GPS and map to keep you alive. Never!


No comments: