Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Old Iron, New Bread

Cooked up some bread using a new approach my son told me about. It's the crunchy crust/soft inside type, and it doesn't need to be kneaded. This isn't even work.

I made my second loaf this week. The first loaf, made while the kids were home over the weekend, didn't last long and I only got one piece. Bummer.

There's a story behind the Dutch Oven. It's Wilma's, inherited from her Mom. Wilma, an accomplished cook, says she never saw her Mom use it, so it probably hasn't been used for 50 years. It's been out in the garage forever . . . patiently waiting. Well, it came to life and it's neat to use such antiques for their intended use. It's going to be used pretty often now, thanks to this bread recipe.

11 comments:

nanke's stuff said...

mmmm - I can smell it now! I have a similar recipe that I make sometimes. With my recipe you make it a day ahead, let it sit in a warm place, preheat the dutch oven in a really hot oven, put the dough in and bake it with the lid on. It comes out with a really nice crust on the outside and just right inside. I think I'll make some tomorrow! Thanks for the reminder & great post. nancy

Kirstin said...

Yum! I love cooking with my dutch oven but I tend to use it more when camping. I need to get it inside and use it more often.

Kate (Cathy Johnson) said...

Sounds YUMMY, John and I love the page you've made of it!

Sandy said...

Sounds like the same approach as Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day !! It is easy, fun and delicious and having that cast iron dutch oven is so Fabulous. Old fashioned good bread - the staff of life!!

Unknown said...

Hmmm...feels like I need to get a dutch oven! That sounds delicious! And your page is wonderful too. Do you have to grease the pot to keep it from sticking?

Anonymous said...

Your post brought the smells of fresh bread into my house. :) Great sketch and post!

john.p said...

raena - no grease in the Dutch Oven. You coat the bread with a ground grain of some type and the Dutch Oven is at 475F when you put the bread in, so nothing sticks. Works neat.

Robin said...

Why does bread have to be a carb?? Why can't it be a protein!?! I've followed your blog for awhile now and really like how you do your journal pages. Always interesting.

Unknown said...

Thanks John!

Timaree said...

Great page. I love homemade bread. I couldn't tell in the picture but does that dutch oven have a lid with a lip all around so it can be used in a fire with coals placed on top? You could take it backpacking for fresh bread on the trail, lol.

Mari Brown and Colourblob said...

Thses are great sketches John.
This one brings me back to camping and cooking over fire (very close to what we once made)... now I cant wait for summer to come so we can pack the barrels and head north for a canoe trip...

Mari