Sunday, February 20, 2022

Get'n Out

 It's been about two years since my last post. It's been oh so long but oh so heavy. Sketching was not in me. Wilma's surgery went well, but, long story short, the cancer came back in spades, and she was diagnosed with behavior variant frontotemporal dementia. Each one is fatal, but, combined, they are more quickly fatal. She didn't stand a chance, and passed away January 20. It sucks! My prostate cancer surgery went well. It's a wait-and-see game but the prognosis is good. Enough gloom and doom. I only share it because health impacts sketch journaling. On to sketching.

Urban Sketchers Kansas City had scheduled a January sketch out at Boulevard Brewing Company in KC (60 miles from me). I was planning on going but they cancelled. After the funeral I thought I really need to get out sketching for therapy. So, I went solo. I got down on the drive, thinking of Wilma, but once I got there and started sketching, enjoyment came back. It was a calming and enjoyable outing. 

Today I'm working on my yearly planner. I use the bullet journal technique in a Midora Traveler's notebook. I use a fountain pen to lay out all the months by hand, then do daily entries with fountain pens. There is some hand stitching to build the booklets as I like them. I found this process to be calming and enjoyable, too. I think I'll continue with the fountain pen and journaling adventures.

4 comments:

Jeanette, Mistress of Longears said...

John, I 'm so sorry to hear this news. Will write you privately at your yahoo mail address.

Ted A said...

My condolences, John. I wish healing and comfort for you

Anonymous said...

John, I am so sorry to hear of Wilma's passing and your health challenges. I hope and pray sketching is a comfort, like an old friend.

Kate (Cathy Johnson) said...

That was Kate, by the way.