Sunday, January 15, 2017

Retiring A Favorite

I've been keeping these old sandals around so I could sketch them before I threw them away. They served me well or many trips to the great outdoors. They carried me in some tough country and some pedestrian activities like sketch crawls. Before them, I didn't think real men wore sandals. Now I do.  Finally a couple straps pulled out of the foot bed and they can't be fixed. When I bought sandals to replace them I almost felt like I was being unfaithful to them.

On the brighter side, I bought my first real trappers hat! I've worn cheap ones over the years when it really gets cold out. Got my first one when I was in fourth grade. Over the holiday break in Hays I ran across this real wool hand woven tweed cap with rabbit fur lining, and just had to have it. Made in Scotland. We've had three times when temperatures were well below freezing and I've worn it to bring in more firewood or drive to work. It keeps me warm and feels luxurious. The trappers hat doesn't get high points for style, but function is what matters to me.

6 comments:

Kate (Cathy Johnson) said...

What a fun record, John!

Unknown said...

I really enjoy seeing your sketches.. Would love to see some of your Alaska journal.. That is on our list of travel destinations this year.

Sandra said...

Delightful post.

john.p said...

Nancy, I just posted the cruise sketches.

Jeanette, Mistress of Longears said...

I highly endorse any product that requires rabbit fur :-)

john.p said...

That IS right up your alley, Jeanette! That could be a side-line business for you, if you could just train your dog to be useful.