Saturday, October 10, 2015

Oct. Lawrence Sketch Crawl

This month's sketch crawl gave me an excuse to explore a Lawrence park we've never been to. Wells Overlook Park. Gail organized it. Attendance was small, with just Gail, John and I, but it was a beautiful day for it.
It's a small park with just an observation tower and a covered picnic shelter, but such a view! I couldn't sketch the 360 degree panoramic, but I could handle smaller parts. A sketch crawl in a city park lends itself to drawing maps, too.

I did the map last night, before the crawl. Recently bought the book "How to Draw Fantasy Art & RPG Maps, Step by Step Cartography". I have a thing for cartography and it's on my "To Learn" list. When I saw the book I HAD to buy it, and it's a good one. I used a few of the concepts. To do it right would take HOURS of work, so I did a sketchbook short cut version.

While I was sketching, I struck a conversation with the father of a family out to walk around the park. The family dog was a Great Pyrenees, and she was beautiful! Once the ice was broken she was a push-over and ate up all the petting I could give her. The dad said the park has a trail system, too, so I need to get back to check it out.


7 comments:

Kate (Cathy Johnson) said...

I love maps like that, John! Sounds like a fine place to sketch...

john.p said...

Thanks, Kate. The scenery was great. The down side of being a small park is that there isn't much to sketch unless you're into large landscapes. I just about sketched it all in one visit. I may go again just for viewing. Note: As the planner for this group, Gail has found some of the same frustrations as you have - some months few if anybody shows up. Don't know what that tells about us sketchers as a group.

Kate (Cathy Johnson) said...

That we have other things going in our lives, I guess! I tried not to let it bug me, but ME having to be there when few could make it was frustrating sometimes. especially the time it was JUST me and I had a dozen things I needed to be doing instead. :)

Kate (Cathy Johnson) said...

By the way, J. tends to prefer a big vista, so our intimate little sketchcrawls didn't offer him a whole lot in the way of inspiration!

Jeanette, Mistress of Longears said...

I agree with Kate - just so many demands on our time...sometimes the drive time prevents me, sometimes other activities.
However, I loved your map and the map book recommendation. I'm also fascinated by maps! You might like to see this list of resources on the Brain Pickings blog:
https://www.brainpickings.org/2011/01/07/must-read-map-books/

Donn said...

Nice 2 page sketch. Even though a small park, there can be lots in it if you look closely enough.

A.M.Jacob said...

Great sketches, and I especially love the map. I've been toying with that idea of doing this.