Saturday, April 25, 2015

Plan B

Today was to be the April sketch crawl organized by Kate. We were to meet at Case Park in Kansas City, Missouri, near the merging of the Kansas River and the Missouri River. The forecast started terrible early in the week,  but yesterday made it look rosy, or at least dry. Wilma and I left Topeka in overcast and drizzle. As we drove by Lawrence it was raining. As we drove by Bonner Springs it was raining cats and dogs! Not the weather I like to drive in downtown KC, so we turned around.


We've always heard of the Moon Marble Company there, and my folks had gone years ago and gave it a thumbs up. We had our lunch packed for the planned picnic so all we needed was a picnic table with a cover and we're set. We found the Visitor's Center, a restored caboose, and they had a small gazebo with picnic table. Bingo! We picked up some local info and moved into the gazebo for our picnic lunch. It's raining in a fine mist now, so it's fine to eat out. I bought extra cookies to share with the sketch group, but they'll keep until we can eat them all.

We watched some local pre-teens play around the caboose. As I sketched the caboose, Wilma found an embroidery/quilting store. Then we walked around a little and checked out an antique store. Talked to the owner to get some local flavor. Then off to the Moon Marble company. The owner gives demonstrations of creating a marble, right in front of us seated in bleachers! We then grabbed some Dairy Queen, drove over the Kansas River to see how it looked, and headed home.

It may be Plan B, but it ended up a fun day. Missed the fellow sketchers, but there's always next time.

5 comments:

winna said...

great read---and what a fine thing to do for that type of day...inspirational for future times for us...! The drawing are so well done and witty !

mo said...

John, I'm so glad to see that you're still carrying on with your art journal! I always loved your entries back in the original LTJ group in 2008. Kudos to you!!

Mo

winna said...

I hope you'll send me your email address as I found a couple sites I think you would like to see that have to do with trucks etc and burger type joints...really cool stuff to see...my email is winnajill@cox.net.

winna said...

https://www.flickr.com/groups/commercial_vehicle_drawings/

that might get you to the vehicles one....

john.p said...

Mo - It's good to hear from you! It has been a while. I haven't seen that Jessica has done much lately with the old LTJ classes. There's a few of us still out there blogging.