Friday, August 6, 2010

Command Central

We're in the thick of it now. Canning jam. It's not every year we can a lot of jam. Just don't go through it as much as an empty nest. However, our son does raid the jam/jelly stock when he's back home on visits. I like having a reason to can, and having a bumper crop of blackberries is one such reason. The next blog post will tell of another reason. I just like the sights and sounds of the kitchen when it's in production. The stove is Command Central. All the counter tops in arms reach are strategically stocked to feed the canner and to take its output. Then the random sound of popping lids as they cool. It's a flashback to childhood years by Mom's side watching. It's an event.

9 comments:

Barbara said...

Hi John -- My husband signed up for a canning class later this month so that he can learn this vintage art. I remember my mother canning, but it wasn't an annual event and she basically hated every moment of it. Steve, on the other hand, can't wait to learn and I'm all for that because I'll be the recipient.

As for blackberries, one year I broke my ankle reaching across a ditch for the perfect one. I'll do anything for blackberries!

Vicky L. Williamson said...

Mmmmm . . . must smell divine around your place!

Lucia B. said...

Thank you for this lovely post, full of pleasant smells, flavours and colours!

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

Oh this is so cool!!! I remember my grandma and my mom making jams and jelly. I don't have the patience to stand around in a hot kitchen... Love your sketch though! Marva

Elizabeth B Merriman said...

I love this... one of my fondest memories is a cloth bag that hung from the door knob on the kitchen door. My mother had the mashed plums inside and the juice was being strained into the soup pot to be made into a beautifully colored plum jelly.

Thanks for sharing this with us all.

Elizabeth

Sandra said...

Not only do you have memories, you continue to make them. Enjoy the jam.

Unknown said...

I love blackberries! My husband and I used to stop along the Boise greenbelt during our bike rides, and fill containers to take home. I think most people passed right by without noticing them because when they saw us, they would look really close. The next thing you know, they are picking berries too!

Sara Light-Waller said...

Ok I'm totally inspired by your posting here. Not only because I've planned to learn canning for several years, but because your page is so well done! Thanks for sharing it with us.

kathyclarklongislandart. said...

Love your blog! The pictures are so well done and the stories are so interesting and fun to read. I don't think anyone on Long Island still cans.