Monday, October 14, 2024

Grandkids Backpacking

 My oldest granddaughter, age 8, asked her parents for an overnight backpack trip this year. Her mom made it happen! Wilma and I raised the granddaughter's mom and uncle in a camping family, which included a backpack trip when they were teenagers. I'm very pleased that it's trickling down to their kids. Her mom explored the Internet and found a respectable youth backpack. Little sis said "Me Too" but, for her, a day pack was big enough. In a millisecond I decided it was worth the drive to be there, too. I scheduled my visit with Liz so I could swing by Colorado on my way home. 

We found a mile+ trail up to a small lake at 10, 480' not far from their northern Colorado home. The trail was an old National Forest Service access road, so navigation was easy. Uphill all the way but it was worth it.

With kids, everything is a crap shoot. However, the odds were with us. The youngest had a melt down on the way up but recovered. From then on they had a blast! Their mom and dad were basically the outfitters that made sure tents were put up and everyone was fed and watered. We introduced them to backcountry camp protocol. After supper we hung a our bear bag with their help. Clean camp. Leave No Trace. Etc.  

I was first up. After a while I hear some giggling, followed by to cheery granddaughters running out to see me. Mom and dad took a while longer, lingering in a short reprieve. The girls and I sat by the lake and watched the sun rise higher in the sky behind the mountain ridge. Then they helped me retrieve the bear bag and start hot water for breakfast. They are completely at home in the woods. Makes a grandpa proud!





No comments: