Monday, August 26, 2019

New At Last!

I love my bicycle! Haven't changed my opinion since childhood. This summer I haven't ridden near enough, but I love it when I do. Big miles are enjoyable. Cycling gloves seem to last forever, but given enough years they do wear out. That makes me happy. Worn out gloves are proof that the rider has put in the miles. Can't fake that. Mine finally started pulling apart, so I had my excuse to go out and buy a new pair, guilt-free.

This is my first pair to have the gel padding, and they were the most comfortable. Not cheap, but cost per mile isn't bad. I went for a ride on our rail-to-trail near our house. To go toward Topeka the trail has the proper limestone screenings (fine gravel), but away from Topeka and I quickly run into the original granite ballast. This stuff is rough and loose, and easy to loose control and wreck if you don't focus. I made it to the trail's end and then jumped up on the asphalt road to circle back home. This was my first time to do it, and it felt good. I belong to the organization that's building the trail and we plan on laying down limestone screenings this year or next.

In a couple weeks a local bike store has organized an overnight bike ride, with camping at a local lake's campground. I hope to pack some sketch gear and have something to report later.

No comments: