Sunday, April 8, 2018

Dover, Kansas


Dover has the closest dealer for my Zipper mower, so I get out there once in a while for mower repair and maintenance. If the cafe is open, I drop by and get a coffee to-go for my drive home. I knew I wanted to sketch the cafe some day.

The game plan today was to an Urban Sketchers Kansas City sketch crawl in downtown KC. However, with forecasted temps in the mid 20's they pushed it back a week. I wanted to sketch, and I've been meaning to get out to Dover, a small town 25 miles west of us, to sketch their cafe. Today's the day! I need to buy some supplies to breath life into my old zero turn Legacy so I figured I'd stop by Schwant Tractor for those supplies and then we'd stop by the Sommerset Hall Cafe for lunch. That place had near 30 customers! Glad to see it doing so well.


I attend several of the Urban Sketchers Kansas City outings because they are only 60 miles away. Topeka has no activity, and Lawrence is only 15 miles away but Urban Sketchers Lawrence has limited outings. I prefer less-urban sketching, though. I grew up outside of town, and live today like that. I am more attached to the smaller towns, and feel no bond with a metropolis.

Then Jessica Wesolek started the blog http://smalltownsketchers.com. I learned my watercolor pencil journaling technique from her a decade ago, so I just had to submit something for her to consider posting to show her I'm still in the game. Supposedly including #smalltownsketchers in this blog will announce my intentions. I know nothing of hashtags so I'll take her word for it.




No comments: